We’re done. Can I have my keys back? No CDs to divide this time, just digital memories. (Cue the song “I thought you were my boyfriend,” by The Magnetic Fields, on an endless loop.)
Maybe we had something, once. I’ll mail you the rest in a brown box.
Just give me one last look.
This week, it’s not you, it’s us. We’re breaking up, disassembling and remembering how we got through the pain. We’re reminded [clears throat, juts finger into the air] that the love of self has to come before all else. Even if you’re in a blissful relationship, as writer Ali Burns notes, you gotta “do you” to keep any relationship healthy.
- Ali Burns spends a year embarking on a Break-Up List.
- Lauren Young gets a Jewish Divorce.
- Susan Linney sees her exes everywhere.
- Carolyn Edgar drifts into friendship.
- Amy Barr parts with laughter.
- Heather Barmore sees both sides.
- Nancy Davis Kho gives us the playlist
- And we have a shop full of comforting pillows. No, really.
And remember, in the words of the fake Buddha (’cause he didn’t really say this, but still…)
“You only lose what you cling to.”
We’ll always love you,