Yesterday was one of those days.
I’d overslept. The cat had pooped just to the side of her litter box. (But it’s right there Alice!) I tried to put on a jumpsuit and it took me five minutes to realize my arm was in the leg part. I was not going to make a podiatry appointment because traffic uptown was 100 percent blocked due to the UN General assembly, so I cancelled it (after fighting about a “rescheduling fee”) and hobbled to work. I’d double-booked meetings with two different friends and left one standing at my doorway texting me frantically while I had coffee with the other. Finally, in the afternoon while I was at work, the shower in our apartment leaked into the neighbor’s below and into her electrical box. The super called, needed our key, and when he couldn’t reach us he busted the lock to get in.
The kind of day when you yourself would like to poop on the side of the litter box.
Can I get a do-over? Please?
But, oh, hello, Tuesday. There’s always another shot, right? Hopefully, sometimes and not always. I asked my friend (the one I did have coffee with) if there were any do-overs she’d like in life. She barely missed a beat. “Yes. I’d love to see my dad one more time,“ she said of her father who passed away when she was 16. “We’d have dinner, and we’d just talk.”
Our experience gives us hindsight — we can sift through what’s most important and pinpoint those moments where we’d choose a different door or we’d like to simply say, “Can I take a Mulligan?” And sometimes there are things in life we’d like to savor one more time, like a first kiss or that vacation we could barely afford but was so worth it.
This week we’d like another try:
- Amy Barr is haunted by a teenage decision
- Will Ralston got a second chance to be himself, in a new gender
- Erin Street rethinks her drink
- Nina McCollum wonders about life with more kids
- And Laurie White talks to 11 40-something women who reinvented their careers
What we have on repeat:
- Reading: An excellent new Women in the Workplace study in WSJ.com
- Laughing: At the hilarious, drama-infused political gifs by @VicBergerIV and @ToddDracula like this one and this one.
- Kickstarting: Curious Elixirs, a line of delicious booze-free cocktails you’ll want to drink again and again. #ShakenNotSlurred
- Registering: Because National Voter Registration Day means it’s time for a political do-over! Sign up.
- Re-Watching: A new Will & Grace scene just in time for the election. The gang is back!
Doin’ it again,