Tamar Anitai making everyone laugh at the Birthday Bash (Photo: Simon Courchel)
If you haven’t experienced a Tamar Anitai story, this might be the time to read one (if you’re like us, you could use a good laugh right about now.) She wins the award, too, for the most far-reaching topics: Kale, No Kids, Sleep Gurus, Slang, Germs and Creepy Babies. She also stirred up some controversy in TueNighters with her epic tampon tossing thread.
Tamar turned 40 recently and, after a long career as a digital editor and writer, she’s now director of audience engagement for a multinational healthcare consumer company. But that’s certainly not all she is.
“I’m trying to learn to not define myself by my work/day job,” says Tamar, “Is that a thing women do? I do, and I’m curious about how that changes — or doesn’t change — as we get older. I’m working on it as I try to be a more mindful, meditating type of person.”
As to her home life, Tamar has a lovely husband and two cats “one of whom has really unfortunate teeth that are literally rotting and falling out and probably hurt, so I’m “looking forward” to losing approximately $1000 getting kitty teeth professionally cleaned and pulled. By a vet. It’s not a DIY project.”
Here’s her TueNight 10:
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Hmmm. Podcasts? I’m currently plowing through “The Dream,” which is about multilevel marketing, a.k.a. schemes and scams. Also: Everything Tracee Ellis Ross does, says, and wears.
3. Jam of the minute: “Reeling in the Years” by Steely Dan — I got my husband tickets to see Steely Dan for his birthday. We went the other week, and we were the youngest people there by an average of least 15 years. Lots of super high older dads in ’90s brown Banana Republic bomber jackets, doing the double-pointer-fingers-in-the-air dance. Also, “I’ll Never Love Again” (Extended Version). Half of “A Star Is Born” was kind of trash, IMO, but I do LOOOOOOOOVE a good ’90s diva power ballad, and this has all of the trappings of “I Will Always Love You” that I TRULY need.
4. Thing I miss: My pre-iPhone/-email attention span (See book 2 above).
5. 80s crush: Kirk Cameron. (WTFFF?!?!?!? Gross!).
6. Current crush: Riz Ahmed, Lakeith Stanfield, my husband.
7. Will whine about: Trump and the attack on race, civil rights, and women’s reproductive freedom.
8. Will wine about: See above.
9. Best thing that happened recently: I went to Beacon, New York on a sisters’ baby moon (my sister is pregnant. I recommend a sister trip!!). We stayed at a relaxing little Airbnb, saw deer outside of our window, got massages, ate ramen on Main Street, and went to an antique market where I saw, and I shit you not, an electric blue dress with a vinyl crinkle with a matching faux fur top. I didn’t get it because I wasn’t properly looking out for my future self who now deeply regrets that decision.
10. Looking forward to: Going to Palm Springs on a belated 40th birthday trip with my husband and friends and pretending we’re in that episode of Mad Men where Don Draper does weird drugs and passes out in the pool.