Ann Shoket might be the Millennial whisperer, but it turns out the advice in her book, The Big Life, works for us #olds too: “The same skills that help you navigate your 20s and 30s are what you need for your 40s and 50s,” she says. “Embrace the mess, work your side hustle, rely on your squad, and stay young hungry and ambitious.” Ann was Editor-in-Chief of Seventeen from 2007 to 2014, and was part of the launch team of CosmoGIRL in 1999. We were honored to have her guest-edit TueNight’s “25” issue in January 2016 — and stoked to have her share her TueNight 10 this week:
1. On the nightstand: Jo Piazza’s How To Be Married — Jo is such a badass! And Cheryl Strayed’s Tiny Beautiful Things — Cheryl helps illuminate all the dark corners of life.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Checking Instagram
3. Jam of the minute: The Janet Jackson Station on Pandora: I got hooked when Janet’s “Nasty” got a boost from Trump last year and the whole station is such a great mix of 90s R&B (EnVogue! SWV!)
4. Thing I miss: Brown Lipstick — I rocked Revlon’s Toast of New York for a decade…but it just doesn’t stand the test of time.
5. 80’s crush: C. Thomas Howell (I know, so embarrassing. I had a half-open shirt pic on my wall and everything!)
6. Current crush: My Husband. I dedicated my book to him. [insert heart eye emojis]
7. Will whine about: Waking up at 3 am in an existential panic—Why do we do this to ourselves?
8. Will wine about: New Zealand Sauv Blanc
9. Best thing that happened yesterday: I got a message from a young woman who said that she cried while reading The Big Life because the book made her feel seen and validated — this is what I live for.
10. Looking forward to: Sitting in my hammock with my kids running around the roof deck spraying each other with the hose.