Kathryn Finney is a major game-changer in the world of entrepreneurship and tech for Black and LatinX women, as the founder of digitalundivided. In 2016, they released an internal research study called ProjectDiane that literally changed the startup world overnight. The latest update of the report is getting a ton of press for its revelations that more black women than ever are starting businesses, and yet the funding for them lags behind.
“We all want to live a creative life that we control. We want to know that our time on this earth mattered, even if it’s to just one person. It’s an honor to know that the work you’ve done has changed people’s lives for the better, but there’s also a great deal of responsibility that comes with this honor. I spend 99% of my day trying to balance this responsibility while also working hard at being a great mom, a boss, a wife, a thought leader, a daughter, and a friend.” Here is Kathryn’s TueNight 10:
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Jamming. I don’t care how old I may get. I’m always going to get my groove on.
3. Jam of the minute: Automatic – The Pointer Sisters. The. Best. Song. EVA.
4. Thing I miss: The 2/3 subway line. I live in Atlanta now and it takes an hour to go anywhere. I miss the subway.
5. 80’s crush: New Edition. Hands down. My first concert was the NE Heartbreak tour in 1989. I wore an ankle length stone washed jean skirt, a pink “silk” top, and red boots from Casual Corner that I borrowed from my mom.
6. Current crush: Jordan Peele. He is telling the stories about the Black American experience that we’ve been waiting for. We are multi-dimensional human beings and his stories celebrate that.
7. Will whine about: Sleep. I miss it.
8. Will wine about: A good glass of Sancerre.
9. Best thing that happened yesterday: My son actually sat for a haircut.
10. Looking forward to: Getting older and giving even less f*cks about stupid things than I do now.