Age: I’m more than willing to #saymyage, 53
Bio: Vice President of Strategic Communications for Encore.org, “I cook up ideas for Encore.org on how to frame longer lives as a force for good and intergenerational connection as a natural way of life. I’m really excited about our Encore Public Voices Fellowship, a partnership with the OpEd Project to identify and support 20 diverse thought leaders working on issues relating to aging, longevity, intergenerational connection and social justice.” Marci also serves on the board of Girls Write Now, a phenomenal organization empowering girls through writing and mentoring. (If you’re in New York City, you should check out one of their Spring events.)
Beyond the bio: “In my free time, I walk excessively around Manhattan, and recently started taking piano lessons to keep the brain sharp. My long-term hobby is low-skates poker (Omaha) with a group of artist/writer types — and increasingly, my mom’s pals. The coolest thing about being middle-aged is that you are perfectly positioned for cross-generational friendships up and down the age chain!”
1. On the nightstand: Mary Pipher’s Women Rowing North: Navigating Life’s Currents and Flourishing as We Age; Marc Freedman’s How to Live Forever: The Enduring Power of Connecting the Generations; Girls Write Now: Two Decades of True Stories From Young Female Voices. Plus, a lavender eye pillow and the phone charger I need to move so that I commit to not keeping the phone in the bedroom.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Collecting people and connecting them to each other.
3. Jam of the minute: Minuet in G, on my way to Philip Glass. (See above RE: piano lessons.)
4. Thing I miss: Handwritten letters. When I get them, they go right into the gratitude file. (So if you send me one, it will not be KonMaried.)
5. 80s crush: Jim Morrison. Had a poster of his grave in my bedroom.
6. Current crush: My husband Jay and my pooch Sinatra (see above).
7. Will whine about: Too busy and overextended to whine about anything.
8. Will wine about: Just about any gathering with other people. Then I’ll wake up with a headache, say I’m never drinking again, and find another excuse!
9. Best thing that happened recently: My husband kicked cancer.
10. Looking forward to: Travel to Mexico City with my honey, Amsterdam with my mom, San Francisco with a dear cousin and my Encore.org colleagues, Florida for my nephew’s Bar Mitzvah. It’s quite a spring lineup.