Sally Kohn is a woman of many, MANY reaction shots (see above — and get your own Sally gif here!) Her face basically says what all of us are thinking. A progressive political pundit on CNN, host of the State of Resistance podcast, former community organizer, and an occasional contributor to TueNight, Kohn has a brand new book coming out in April called The Opposite of Hate (you can pre-order it now!). The book is part of her mission “to do something about the overwhelming hate and animosity in our culture,” and help us all to rise above it. These days Sally tells us she is, “trying to catch up on sleep and try this thing I’ve heard about called exercise. I spent the last year writing a book and the year before that helping cover and comment on the election and now am gearing up for an exciting book tour in the spring. So I need sleep. But who doesn’t? In between naps, I try to make the world a better place.” Sally’s TueNight 10:
1. On the nightstand: A galley of my book, The Opposite of Hate — duh. Stalking God by my friend Anjali Kumar which I just finished and is BRILLIANT. When They Call You A Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir by Patrisse Khan-Cullors and Asha Bandale, which is the most powerful political memoir I’ve read since Baldwin. A copy of The Babysitters Club (my daughter left it there, but I’m not gonna lie, I’ve enjoyed it).
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: My love affair with hoodies, which I think are the perfect form of clothing.
3. Jam of the minute: I recently discovered the song “Mixtape” by Tift Merritt, and if you see me bopping down the street in my own private dance party, that’s what I’m listening to.
4. Thing I miss: Sleep. I feel like I get plenty and yet I’ve never had enough.
5. 80’s crush: Hard to limit to just one but if I have to, Susanna Hoffs. Completely.
6. Current crush: My partner. She’s my everything and always has been, or at least since Susanna Hoffs.
7. Will whine about: The endemic racism and sexism and inequality that plagues our society and our minds and the fact that so many people have a hard time just accepting that reality and addressing it head on. Also: Slow drivers.
8. Will wine about: Any dry, mineral-y white that comes from a place I can’t pronounce.
9. Best thing that happened yesterday: I was at a conference and someone I’d just met brought me a coffee and it made me feel held and loved and also less tired.
10. Looking forward to: Well, duh, April 10 — when my book The Opposite of Hatecomes out. BUT I’d love for people to pre-order a copy or two. Turns out, pre-orders are very important to making best-seller lists and such. And also I think it’s a good book that’s going to help cure us all of our addiction to hate in its many ugly forms. So I think you’ll be glad you bought one. Or ten.