Basic bio: TK is a creator at heart. If she can think of it, she’ll try to do it. Her podcast Open World is a fiction anthology exploring hopeful futures through science and tech with co-host Rose Eveleth. Most recently she executive produced Good Words with Kirk Franklin and Headspace’s HiberNation.
Beyond the bio: The great thing about becoming a woman of a certain age — or as I call it entering the thunderdome — is feeling comfortable in my own skin. I am absolutely sure about who I am and when I’m having a great day, I feel like a superhero for myself.
What makes you a grown-ass lady?
Boundaries. One Halloween my brother and I knocked on the neighbor lady’s door too late, and she answered in her silky grown ass lady robe. As I peeked inside her single lady house with all the art and cool stuff from her travels, she told us with kindness, to scram. That’s when I knew I was meeting a grown ass lady. It’s one of my favorite lessons about boundaries ever.
1. On the nightstand: Humidifier, empty vape pen, a book called Black Fortunes.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Trying new things.
3. Jam of the minute: “Leave the Door Open” by Silk Sonic (Bruno Mars & Anderson .Paak).
4. Thing I miss: Friday trips to the supermarket with my grandma.
5. ‘80s crush: There weren’t that many people for me to have crushes on. But I did identify with “Rudy” from The Cosby Show.
6. Current crush: Drake and Niecy Nash.
7. Latest fave find: Resin art. It’s my third pandemic hobby, I make little trays and candle holders for friends. Before that, I made ice cream and put things in the air fryer.
8. Last thing you lost: My credit card! Yikes!
9. Best thing that happened recently: I went to the Caribbean for the first time, on vacation to Jamaica.
10. Looking forward to: Moving to a bigger apartment, I’m done decorating this one. I need a clean slate.