Basic bio: Jennifer is the Chief Education Officer at Acorns (a saving and investing app with 9 million users), a Forbes contributor, and an advisor to three female-led startups. Her latest book, called Think Like a Breadwinner, is a wealth-building manifesto for women.
Beyond the bio: What I love about being over 40 is that I’m crystal clear on what’s most important to me—and what’s not. I’m also at the point in my life and career where I can think less about climbing the corporate ladder and more about how to lift others up and create an easier path for the women coming up now.
What makes you a grown-ass lady? I have found my voice, belatedly, and I am not afraid to use it. I have saved and invested enough to be able to support myself, my future, and the people and causes I care about.
1. On the nightstand: Invisible Women: Exposing Data Bias in a World Designed for Men by Caroline Criado Perez (fascinating and infuriating!), Rituals Roadmap by Erica Keswin, Ladies Get Paid by Claire Wasserman, and Quiet Leadership by David Rock.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Binging on British baking shows and any number of salty snacks. Working to close the gender wage, wealth, and leadership gaps! Helping other women embrace their innate breadwinning abilities — and experience the joy and freedom that comes with that!
3. Jam of the minute: My running playlist spans decades and genres: “Push It” by Salt-N-Pepa (still holds up after 30+ years!), The Weeknd’s “Blinding Lights,” Empire of the Sun’s “Walking On a Dream,” Polo G’s “Flex” and Nathan Evans’ “Wellerman (Sea Shanty)” (the dance version) are currently in heavy rotation.
4. Thing I miss: Live shows, crowded bars, dinner parties, travel, I could go on…
5. ’80s crush: I had a total girl crush on Christiane Amanpour. I still do!
6. Current crush: My hottie husband.
7. Latest fave find: Figs masks (super soft with a lining and filter pocket).
8. Last thing you lost: My self-consciousness on video calls, finally — now they feel like second nature.
9. Best thing that happened recently: Book deals in the U.S. and the U.K. My parents and sis (an infectious disease doc who treats covid patients) getting vaccinated.
10. Looking forward to: Getting vaccinated, traveling, hanging out with friends and family in real life… and bringing this book into the world!