Age: Proud 54.
Basic bio: Omisade Burney-Scott is a Black southern 7th generation native North Carolinian feminist, mother and healer, and the creator/curator of The Black Girl’s Guide to Surviving Menopause, a multimedia project seeking to curate and share the stories and realities of Black women, femmes and non binary people as they navigate menopause and aging. Season 3 of the podcast (Spotify and Apple) launched in March with a Millennial Takeover! We are 3 episodes in, including a bonus episode with HBO’s Lovecraft Country show writer Shannon Houston and award-winning actress Aunjanue Ellis.
Beyond the bio: I feel like I combat so much negative noise as a Black woman over 50 — the stereotypes and tropes of who I am supposed to be or how people assume I will show up as I get older are loud and sometimes dehumanizing. One thing I love about being 54 is my commitment to being so much kinder to myself and giving myself permission to center my own personhood and mental and emotional health.
What makes you a grown-ass lady? Knowing that for as long as I have lived on this planet, I still have more living and learning to do! I am not a finished book and I get to decide my path and relationships that honor who I want to be.
1. On the nightstand: Water bottle, picture of my parents on their wedding day, Alexis Pauline Gumbs’ book Undrowned: Black Feminist Lessons from Marine Mammals, crystals, small dream journal and a flashlight.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Honoring my ancestors and loving my boys.
3. Jam of the minute: “Nice Things” by Tank and The Bangas.
4. Thing I miss: My mom and dad…. always.
5. ’80s crush: Prince.
6. Current crush: Still Prince, Rest in Paradise (Idris Elba is a nice second).
7. Latest fave find: Self-watering glass globes for my plants. I am a habitual/perpetual over/under waterer.
8. Last thing you lost: New iPhone earbuds (didn’t last 24 hours).
9. Best thing that happened recently: Got to hug three of my best friends in person for my 54th birthday. #vaccinated
10. Looking forward to: A delicious beach trip with both my boys.