Basic bio: N. Jamiyla Chisholm is a journalist who is trying to reclaim her pre-COVID-19 travel life. Her memoir, The Community, will debut from Amazon’s Little A in May 2022.
Beyond the bio: I’m a native New Yorker and a born adventurer and storyteller. I moved to Hiroshima in my mid-20s to teach English and travel; to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina to help with rebuilding efforts; and I have visited more than 50 countries. The older I get, the more I’m convinced that Jennifer Lopez was best suited to be a Fly Girl for In Living Color and not the 16-year-old me who tried out for a spot in front of Rosie Perez alongside her.
What makes you a grown-ass lady?
Being kind and thoughtful; judge-free, supportive, and self-protective. Paying bills and fearing less. Finally, I know myself well and like her!
1. On the nightstand: Lamp, journal, pen, lavender oil.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Being athletic. At this age, I really think I can make it to the Olympics — as an archer!
3. Jam of the minute: Housewares.
4. Thing I miss: Choosing a country and just going there.
5. ‘80s crush: Johnny Depp.
6. Current crush: N/A.
7. Latest fave find: My new home.
8. Last thing you lost: My patience with this country’s legal system and ideas around justice.
9. Best thing that happened recently: I went to Cape Cod, after 18 months of going from room to room in my apartment.
10. Looking forward to: Boarding a plane to disembark and be somewhere new.