My System: Geeta’s Top 10 Uses for Duct Tape
Geeta strong-arms her rockin’ tape. (Photo: TueNight)
Who: Geeta Simons — Philadelphia mom, radio producer, musician and instructor at Girls Rock Philly.
System: “I use Duck tape for just about everything. It’s a musician’s best friend, but I also use it for baby stuff and fashion mishaps.”
By the way, is it Duck tape or Duct tape? “I always thought it was ‘duct’ as in ‘I am finishing this duct work with my duct tape.’ And it is, but the brand I use is called Duck.” And originally it was made from cotton duck cloth. So it’s actually both.
Geeta’s Top 10 Uses for Duck Tape:
1. Band promotion. “For taping up band flyers to a telephone poll. Works really well on brick walls.”
2. Multiple music uses. “For taping extra guitar picks to a mic stand; muting a snare drum head or cymbals; keeping the nine-volt battery in a guitar effects pedal; taping set list to monitor; taping guitar case shut (note: don’t do this if you actually like your guitar).”
3. Fashion Mishaps. “For taping a stiletto heel back onto a shoe. (Note: this didn’t work so well.) For taping a vinyl catsuit back together. (Note: this worked remarkably well! Duck tape + rock pants = yes.)”
4. Antique Repair. “Taping shut my vintage leopard hatbox that serves as a gig bag.”
5. First Aid:. “As a makeshift band-aid: I did this once, along with a bar napkin, when I cut my hand on broken glass that I didn’t see on the dark corner of a grungy stage.”
6. Volunteering. “For making a man-sized guitar strap fit a little girl guitar for a student at Girls Rock Philly.”
7. Baby-Proofing. “To use with wash rags for makeshift baby-proofing at a hotel. (Why are all sharp corners exactly at eye level a two-year-old?)”
8. Airline Travel with Baby. “For when you check your stroller at the gate. The airline staff basically just throws the stroller into the bottom of the plane, and usually something is broken or missing when you get it back. If you put it in a bag, you’ll at least have the broken pieces to put back on, and you’ll get less scuffs. So you fold up the stroller, then put one enormous garbage bag over the bottom, and another over the top, and make a Duck tape belt to seal the two together. Then, if something does break off, just Duck tape it back on!”
9. Hotel Safety. “For covering the locks of bedroom and bathroom doors so toddlers don’t lock themselves in — and us out.”
10. Peace & Quiet. “For taping the power switch of annoying electronic toys into the ‘off’ position (toys that I can’t throw out because they were given to us by alternately vengeful or well-meaning grandparents.)”
Editor’s Note: Balance?!? | Tue Night
[…] Geeta shares her top 10 uses for duct tape. […]
over at this website
Thanks a bunch for sharing this with all people you really recognise what you’re talking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my web site =). We can have a hyperlink exchange agreement among us|
Leave a Reply
Tell Us in the Comments
What do you think?