Self Care Tips When You Are Utterly Devastated
Shortly after the 2016 election, astrologer and wellness guide Karrie Myers Taylor penned this essay to address our collective post-election blues. And here we are, not four years later, utterly devastated again by the manifestations of white supremacy that are woven into the fabric of this country. We’re thankful for Karrie’s tips, but sure as hell wish we didn’t need them.
- Practice forgiving… yourself: Trump did not become President because you didn’t know enough or didn’t do enough about the presidential campaign. Learn how to forgive yourself and move on. Here’s a great book to get you started: How To Forgive Ourselves Totally: Begin Again by Breaking Free from Past Mistakes
- Turn off negative media: Choose two media sites that you trust and only read those. Quietly stop following the Facebook feeds of friends and family who are sharing inciting media on their pages.
- Medicinal baths & body brushes: Take 30 minutes a week to soak in a steaming hot bath to get some clarity. Add some magnesium flakes and essential oil, and be sure to dry brush your body with a natural fiber dry brush before you step in the tub; it will get rid of all that negative media residue.
- Set boundaries around what you’ll take in: Tell friends, family and colleagues that you love them, but you want to engage in only positive conversations going forward.
- Eat nourishing food: Fill your plate with bright, colorful foods with different spices and textures. Eat seasonal fare like buttery roasted squash, juicy black figs and sweet persimmons. Comfort yourself with hearty bone broth and snacks like roasted seaweed.
- Grieve: Yup. We’ve suffered a loss. Allow yourself to pound a few pillows, cry sporadically and take some time to mourn.
- Wear ear plugs on public transportation: Communal grief can sometimes be toxic. Take some earplugs with you in public spaces to filter out the harshest comments.
- Listen to creative music: Find the voice that helps you let go. My favorite “let go” bands right now are: SAMPHA and alt-J.
- Meditate: Schedule three 10-minute sessions of meditation throughout your day to balance yourself.
- Do simple yoga poses: You don’t have to be a guru; just doing a few specific yoga poses every day goes a long way in helping you release post election emotional trauma. Yoga for Emotional Trauma by Rick & Mary NurrieStearns.
- Go the F*ck to Bed: Turn off the TV. Close the laptop. Go to bed an hour earlier for the next 30 days.
- Drink Tulsi Tea: To help you drift off early, drink a cup of Tulsi Tea at least an hour before bed.
- Try energetic healing sessions: It’s important to clear out all of the negative energy that’s circling right now, and also imperative that you stay connected to others through healing touch. Get a calming massage. Schedule an energizing Reiki session. Research alternative methods of healing that involve nurturing and compassionate professionals.
- Try flower essences/adrenal wellness: Keeping up your emotional balance is essential right now. Do this easily and non-addictively with flower essences and adrenal wellness supplements.
To find out more about Karrie’s practice visit her at — KM Taylor Wellness and Self Care
Leave a Reply
Tell Us in the Comments
What do you think?