TueNight 10: Babita Patel
Quick Bio: Babita jets around the world as a humanitarian photographer and Executive Director of KIOO Project, a nonprofit that changes gender dynamics by teaching photography to girls who then teach boys. Her upcoming book, Breaking Out in Prison, introduces you to 15 men who were locked out of society long before they were locked up.
Beyond the Bio: “My life at 40 looks nothing like I thought it would when I was 22. Starting a nonprofit, writing a book, my travel adventures have all landed in my lap while I was making myself crazy over ridiculous goals that were a waste of my time and energy. I finally decided to let the universe have its way while I stepped out of its way.”
What makes you a grown-ass lady? “I don’t say ‘Yes’ when I really mean ‘No.‘ “
1. On the nightstand: Invisible Women by Caroline Criado Perez
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Dancing around my apartment like no one is watching
3. Jam of the minute: “Songs to Sing in the Shower” playlist
4. Thing I miss: My bed the second I leave it
5. ’80s crush: Kirk Cameron
6. Current crush: Chris Evans, for his socially conscious Twitter game, and Henry Cavill, just ’cause.
7. Latest fave find: A meditation practice that actually works for me
8. Last thing you lost: A gorgeous pair of red earrings made by a woman who was rescued after being sex trafficked – the earrings had a great story and I felt like a boss wearing them.
9. Best thing that happened recently: Talking about our favorite characters in Little Women with my 11-year-old niece
10. Looking forward to: Having people read my book, Breaking Out in Prison!!!
Leave a Reply
Tell Us in the Comments
What do you think?