TueNight 10: Barbara Rushkoff
Age: ‘Old,’ as my kid says. Actual: 58. Feels like: 12 on a good day.
Basic Bio: Barbara Rushkoff is a former ’zine editor (Plotz), fact-checker (People) and music writer. Her latest project is under the guise of yr_resting_stitchface on Instagram where she makes embroidery stitch art of people who have made a creative impact on her life.
Beyond the Bio: “I’m a perpetual late bloomer, so having a kid in my early 40s made a lot of sense. I live in a small town just outside of NYC, where I am pretty sure no one cleans to post-punk music or remembers most of the people I’m embroidering. I recall that time in my life when music was so interesting and new and people connected with each other through live shows, record stores and making mixed tapes for each other. I miss that. Mid-life crisis through music and memory? Maybe. But I’m enjoying the people I’m connecting with on this new level.”
What Makes You a Grown Ass Lady: “Acceptance. Just accepting where I am right now, and really truly not giving a fuck about what other people think — but not in a rude or mean way. I’m confident in my decisions — both in life and fashion (I wear overalls a lot and I AM OKAY WITH THAT). I trust my gut when it comes to my daughter and am honest and loving with her about life. I have really dialed down my own emotions and anxiety (thanks therapy!) to be the best mom/wife I can be.”
1. On the nightstand: Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boysby Viv Albertine. Also dry eye drops, and an old clock radio because the new ones are too bright for me. #oldlady
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Being interested in new music
3. Jam of the minute: “New Magic Wand” by Tyler the Creator and the album The Official Body by Shopping
4. Thing(s) I Miss: Collagen, finding vintage gems at thrift stores, New York circa the ’80s, my best friends who live overseas
5. ’80s crush: Richard Butler of the Psychedelic Furs, both in looks and voice
6. Current Crush: Florence Pugh. She is totally captivating.
7. Latest fave find: Coconut Bliss dairy free ice cream. If you’re allergic to dairy, this is the stuff.
8. Last thing you lost: I have a very rare autoimmune eye disease and last year I lost vision in one eye. It’s since been restored through multiple surgeries and yes, I get the irony that I do fine needlework that requires good sight. I am beyond thankful for my doctor and while I know that this may not last forever, I am grateful every day that I get to do what I love to do. The most humbling thing ever, actually.
9. Best thing that happened recently: My embroideries (30 of them!) are in a local art show. It was so lovely and gratifying and cool to hear people’s remarks and try to guess who everyone was — right in front of me. So much fun.
10. Looking forward to: Living more in the moment, spending more quality time with my husband and daughter, SEEING everything more clearly.
Leave a Reply
Tell Us in the Comments
What do you think?