Quick Bio: Cara, a former attorney, is a mediator and group dialogue specialist who engages with institutions to help create more respectful workplace cultures and solve employee relations or governance conflicts. Cara also helps groups of all types have challenging conversations in a structured and productive manner.
Beyond the bio: “Having been to almost 30 countries, I’d say travel early and often. And at some point do it alone. Solo travel is so empowering. Nothing beats adding to one’s memory bank and experiencing new people and cultures is a wonderful way to do that. And have girlfriends. Good, solid girlfriends who will tell you when your clothes are awful, your hair is a mess and you have food in your teeth, who then hug you and give you wine.”
1. On the nightstand: She Said, the jaw dropping back story of the Harvey Weinstein story told by the reporters who broke the story, Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey. Just read it. These women are remarkable professionals who exemplified tenacity, journalistic integrity, grit and excellent judgment in the face of severe pressure.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Helping groups of people have challenging and engaging conversations about hard stuff. And traveling.
3. Jam of the minute: Weirdly been re-listening to Eminem and also loving acoustic covers on Spotify…look, there is no accounting for taste and to each her own, okay?!?
4. Thing I miss: Canadian notions of civic responsibility and not feeling like I need to check my phone.
5. 80s crush: Hands down, 3rd grade me LOVED Ricky Schroeder in Silver Spoons circa 1982/83.
6. Current crush: If I’m being honest, my husband — I’m not really into celebrities — and any man who lifts up the women in his life and treats them with respect.
7. Will whine about: Politics and the lack of integrity in the White House. And loud chewing, I mean obviously.
8. Will wine about: Those very same things drive me to drink, but it has to be either a Sancerre or really good cabernet sauvignon, or port. If I’m at a party, vodka.
9. Best thing that happened recently: Finding my way back to work I love and becoming American!
10. Looking forward to: A new administration, celebrating my husband’s 50th (love you, babe!!) and seeing my girls (and all our girls) change the world for the better.