(Weighing in at Past Forward several years ago.)
Age: 65+ and loving being on Medicare
Basic bio: Elizabeth is the founder and boss of the badass landscape architecture firm, EKLA—Black-owned, woman-run, and at 26+ years, survivor-strong. If you’ve walked through the landscape at the Weeksville Heritage Center, or wondered about the mounds at the African Burial Ground National Monument, you’ve experienced some of our work.
Beyond the bio: I used to wonder why my mother grew freer as she got older, so that by the time she died she was totally cool. There comes a time when you realize you’re not as lucky, not as bulletproof, that “resilient” means something new—and something definitely better.
What makes you a grown-ass lady? Finally accepting—finally!—that certain things are out of my hands. Can finally say, “So be it,” and sleep well at night.
1. On the nightstand: A growing stack of New Yorker magazines.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Craving a good vanilla egg cream.
3. Jam of the minute: Very old school, but I still love Grover Washington’s “Mr. Magic.”
4. Thing I miss: Air travel and foreign places.
5. ’80s crush: Eddie Van Halen.
6. Current crush: Changes weekly, if not daily. This week it’s Sterling K. Brown.
7. Latest fave find: Like Columbus, I have discovered something that everyone else has known about for centuries: Spicy chicken tacos.
8. Last thing you lost: One of my credit cards—it’s somewhere in my apartment.
9. Best thing that happened recently: Voted for someone who deservedly won!
10. Looking forward to: Saturday Zoom sewing lessons with my niece, for the next 30 years, at least