At 42, Geeta Dalal is both a bona fide, badass rock and roller AND a stay-at-home Mom. Full disclosure, she and Margit were in the fierce but short-lived ’90s rock band Rockula together. After roughly 13 years off from performing, writing about music and producing content for public radio, Geeta couldn’t resist returning to her axe (and not just any axe: she plays a custom-made checkerboard double-neck 24 string guitar). She now helms the Philly-based RunHideFight. She says, “I actually wrote and recorded a demo in my kids’ playroom. The kids are old enough now that I can take some time to myself. It’s like I’m 17 again, with green hair and playing shows; except this time nature has conveniently bleached my hair for me.”
Listen to RunHideFight’s addictive, garage rock goodness while you read Geeta’s TueNight 10:
1. On the nightstand: Hunger Makes Me A Modern Girl by Carrie Brownstein; Queen of the Hanukkah Dosas — thank God there’s finally a kids book out there for my lil’ Hin-Jew homeys!
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Seeking the perfect guitar tone; which causes a dangerous wallet gauge in the favor of Reverb.com.
3. Jam of the minute: Good mood: Shannon and the Clams’ “Rip Van Winkle.” Bad mood: The band (not the rapper) DMZ’s “Don’t Jump Me Mother“.
4. Thing I miss: My old metabolism and the days of living on fried mozzarella and Smarties; a good night’s sleep; boredom.
5. 80’s crush: Nick Rhodes.
6. Current crush: Bill Nye the Science guy. This is what happens when I watch re-runs with my children.
7. Will whine about: Sparkling wine served as champagne.
8. Will wine about: Piper Heidsieck Rose Sauvage Brut; if only they served it at rock venues, by the magnum…
9. Best thing that happened yesterday: Taking my 7 and 8 year old daughters to hear Hillary Clinton speak; hearing them discuss what she’d said on the car ride home.
10. Looking forward to: The next gig. Also, the next president.