After 20 years working at a major publishing house, with an impressive stable of best-selling authors (Jennifer Weiner, for one), Greer Hendricks felt restless. So, she quit. She’d long harbored a secret desire to write fiction herself, which she only shared with a few people, including her former author, Sarah Pekkanen. To Greer’s surprise, Sarah approached her about writing collaboratively. As she puts it, “I initially worried it would be copping out to work with someone else, that it would be less of an accomplishment. Then I realized I would be crazy to turn down this opportunity. While I had published a few personal essays and edited hundreds of books, I knew I had a lot to learn about writing an actual novel.” Their first book, The Wife Between Us, comes out next week, and has already received rave reviews. Here is Greer’s TueNight 10:
1. On the nightstand: My nightstand often looks like an unstable Jenga tower. At the moment, some of the books on the pile are Manhattan Beach, by Jennifer Egan, Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward, and The State of Affairs: Rethinking Infidelity, by Esther Perel, which I swear I’m reading for research on my new novel.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Eating dessert. I know there are a million studies that prove sugar is almost as bad for you as smoking, but I am not giving up my dark chocolate and ice-cream.
3. Jam of the minute: “Rollin” by Calvin Harris. I first heard the song over the summer when it was recommended by Sam Sanders on his terrific podcast It’s Been a Minute. This jam continues to be the song I turn to first when I need a pick me up.
4. Thing I miss: Being able to stay up late and sleep in. Between kids and dogs and work and life I just can’t get those 8-9 hours I used to relish.
5. 80’s crush: The good girl in me crushed on Andrew McCarthy. The bad girl: Prince. In both scenarios the hair was a disaster!
6. Current crush: My husband. I might be biased, but I happen to think he’s only gotten more handsome as he ages
7. Will whine about: As I mentioned, I have two dogs that I love almost as much as my children, but I detest taking them out in the cold or the rain or the dark.
8. Will wine about: Almost any Burgundy vintage.
9. Best thing that happened yesterday: I visited my writing partner, Sarah, in Washington D.C. and gave her a one-of-a-kind necklace, that I created with a fabulous Brooklyn jewelry designer, Marissa Alperin, to celebrate our birthdays and the publication of The Wife Between Us. Then we worked on our new book and ate sushi. It was kind of a perfect day!
10. Looking forward to: My daughter is 15 and my son is 13. They are both really interesting kids and I am looking forward to watching them evolve and blossom even more.