Age: I am 60 and a proud perennial
Quick bio: Heather Frank is a cabaret artist based in Washington, DC. Her most recent one-woman show was “Love in the Time of Coloring.” She recently made her New York debut at Pangea and is working on a new show about the creative process, “I’m Making This Up,” coming in 2020.
Beyond the bio: “I started my career as a professional writer and editor and then became an executive at media companies like AOL, Meredith and Gannett. Creating and performing have always been my love, though, and I channelled those interests in different ways. Cabaret brings all of my talents together at a time in my life when I’m feeling pretty fearless and generally unsupervised.”
1. On the nightstand: The new biography, Marjorie Merriweather Post: The Life Behind the Luxury by Estella M. Chung. I’m a deep admirer of all things Mrs. Post — her philanthropy, her business acumen, her glamour and her extraordinary capacity for enchanting people through extravagant and thoughtful hospitality. I love spending time at Hillwood Estate Museum & Gardens here in Washington, which was her home and is filled with so much joy and beauty. The museum’s tagline is the best (and also true): “Where Fabulous Lives.”
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Laughing.
3. Jam of the minute: I’m scouting songs for my new show, so I’m listening to a lot of things as I look for material. I just sang Carsie Blanton’s song “Fat and Happy” in New York last weekend, and I love it, and her, a lot.
4. Thing I miss: Other than people and pets I’ve loved, I don’t miss much. I’m happy in the now and always excited about what’s next.
5. 80s crush: George Clooney.
6. Current crush: George Clooney.
7. Will whine about: The divisions in this country and our planet. We all live here together and it’s obviously in our best interest to take care better care of our world and each other. I think we need a Declaration of Interdependence.
8. Will wine about: I love Champagne and sparkling wine. If I’m going to be fancy, it’s Veuve Clicquot. It’s tingly and delicious and the company that the newly widowed Madame Clicquot inherited continues to celebrate enterprising women. And, orange is my favorite color.
9. Best thing that happened recently: My husband told me that he thought I should apply for a MacArthur Foundation fellowship. I told him that you can’t apply for those, but I love him very much for imagining that he married a genius.
10. Looking forward to: Learning how to write my own songs. I have a plan for that.