Issa Mas is a freelance writer whose work has been featured on local news sites PIX11 and CBS Local, in the humor anthology See Mom Run: Side-Splitting Essays from the World’s Most Harried Moms, and on the now-defunct award-winning blog Single Mama NYC, which was recognized as a Voice of the Year by BlogHer in 2012. You can usually find Issa talking about race (loudly), mental health (passionately), and single parenting (exhaustedly) at @IssaMas. We are thrilled that she will be one of our readers at TueNIght Live: TRUST on 10/17!
1. On the nightstand: How To Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish, because solo parenting a 10-year-old boy requires reinforcements. Stephen King’s short story collection, Bazaar of Bad Dreams, is underneath it for when I want a quick, satisfying read by one of my favorite authors.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Speaking out against injustice; in any of its forms.
3. Jam of the minute: The Budos Band III album by The Budos Band.
5. 80’s crush: Prince.
6. Current crush: My husband (in my head), Idris Elba.
7. Will whine about: My lack of extra, goddess-like arms so that I can juggle it all.
8. Will wine about: Pinot Noir.
9. Best thing that happened yesterday: My best friend came over and our boys played video games together while we drank the aforementioned Pinot Noir and got caught up on each other’s week.
10. Looking forward to: Learning how to read music. I’ve just begun to take lessons at 44!