Quick bio: Jennifer is an editor, writer and speaker who tells stories to and about women, with a focus on career, family and health. She works with clients through Jennwork, her two-year-old content agency, and her newest project, The Breadwinners podcast, just launched on Messy.fm. Jennifer serves on the board of ProCon.org. Her punk band Two Minute Thrills plays in dive bars (where else?) around NYC.
Beyond the bio: “I feel like I’m in the perfect moment right now. My kids are older and (literally) need less hand-holding, my spouse still makes me laugh, Pilates has me standing straighter than ever and I get invited to shout obscenities on various stages. Then there’s my work, which is all about speaking authentically to women. I love it — and love the people I get to work with.”
What makes you a grown-ass lady? “That I’m still supporting my family despite the crumbling nature of media. I started out as a newspaper reporter, pivoted to magazines, moved to digital and now audio. I just keep hustling.”
1. On the nightstand: There are sooooo many right now. A few are: The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk (I’m working with a mental-health startup), Why We Can’t Sleep by Ada Calhoun, The Lives of Robert Ryan by J.R. Jones.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Pilates
4. Thing I miss: My car and the ease of parking that comes from living anywhere else than Brooklyn, NY
5. ’80s crush: Rick Springfield
6. Current crush: Adam Driver
7. Latest fave find: The Mixmax email platform is attempting to change my life for the better, at least when it comes to scheduling meetings.
8. Last thing you lost: Always an earring. My cowl-necked winter coat seems to eat them for snacks.
9. Best thing that happened recently: The Breadwinners podcast went live. My smarty-pants co-host (Rachael Ellison) and I have been working on this for months and now it’s here!
10. Looking forward to: Two Minute Thrills playing live again!