TueNight 10: Kenrya Rankin
Quick Bio: Kenrya Rankin is an award-winning writer and editorial consultant. She hosts the literary erotica podcast “The Turn On,” and her latest project, How We Fight White Supremacy: A Field Guide to Black Resistance, is now available as an audiobook.
Beyond the Bio: “After many years spent splitting myself into easily digestible parts — this is the writer part, this is the activist part, this is the part who doesn’t bite her tongue — I’m now clear that I’m my best when I bring my entire self to every situation. Gone are the exhausting days of deciding who to be each moment, of worrying how I’ll be received, of worrying that I won’t be enough — and it feels amazing.”
1. On the nightstand: I’m in the middle of scouting literary erotica written by Black women for season two of my podcast; there are sooooo many books in my phone waiting for me to finish them.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Not sleeping? Seriously, I don’t sleep enough.
3. Jam of the minute: “Up Late,” by Ari Lennox is on constant replay, both in my car and in my head.
4. Thing I miss: Sleep.
5. 80s crush: Eddie Murphy. I think of it as an inherited crush — he was my mom’s fave.
6. Current crush: My partner. He is amazingly supportive and emotionally intelligent and gorgeous to boot. We both got lucky!
7. Will whine about: My work centers on the lived experiences and advocacy of people of color and others who are pushed to the margins of society. I have zero plans to shut up about the ways we can inch this nation closer to freedom and justice for everyone.
8. Will wine about: I gave up meat more than a decade ago, and the only terrible side effect is that I now cannot drink wine without getting sick. I can manage a cider beer or half a glass of something bubbly on special occasions, but otherwise, it’s dry over on this side.
9. Best thing that happened recently: My eight-year-old daughter told me I was “the best mommy,” a day after telling me I was “the worst.” I’ll take it.
10. Looking forward to: My spidey sense tells me that 2020 is gonna be a personal banner year on a lot of levels. I’m excited to see what it brings.
Leave a Reply
Tell Us in the Comments
What do you think?