(LaFrae Sci a.k.a Frae-Frae: Daughter of Drexciya)
Basic bio: LaFrae Sci is a multi-instrumentalist, composer and electronic musician who performs under the moniker, Frae-Frae: Daughter of Drexciya. She is also the Co-Executive Director of Willie Mae Rock Camp and creator of Willie Mae Future Sounds, a suite of year round programming rooted in Afrofuturism and combining S.T.E.A.M./ music technology with social justice.
Beyond the bio: The pandemic suspended everything that was fun and necessary about living in the city for me, and I am grateful that I was able to fulfill my bucket list dream of moving by the beach in Rockaway. I bought roller skates and I enjoy 7 a.m. skating on the boardwalk. I still have some of my signature moves developed when I was eleven years old; I just don’t fall as often. What I have learned being over 50 is how to make courage and gratitude my default settings instead of fear.
What makes you a grown-ass lady? My curves.
1. On the nightstand: Inspirational book absconded from my mother’s collection with her fave passages highlighted.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Don’t stop believing.
3. Jam of the minute: Alice Coltrane Turiyasangitananda.
4. Thing I miss: My Boo.
5. ’80s crush: Lisa Bonet.
6. Current crush: My new XOR NerdSEQ sequencer.
7. Latest fave find: Pandemic solitude.
8. Last thing I lost: My temper.
9. Best thing that happened recently: I saw my parents and they are healthy octogenarians.
10. Looking forward to: The Gen-X Variety Show!