Morra Aarons-Mele is a self-described hermit. She’s happiest working in bed. And yet, she has the big, successful career she’s always wanted. She was inspired to write her recent book, Hiding in the Bathroom: An Introvert’s Roadmap to Getting Out There (When You’d Rather Stay Home) after hearing too many introverted or anxious professionals say they couldn’t pursue their dreams of a big career because they didn’t want to be “out there” all the time. Not true at all, says Morra! And she’s the living proof. As she puts it, you can eat lunch alone, say no, never give a TEDx talk…and still have an amazing career. Hiding in the Bathroom gets into the nitty-gritty about how to do it: from business development to selling yourself to surviving professional conferences and networking events. Morra is also working on a new podcast about smashing the patriarchy. It’s way past time.
1. On the nightstand: Spy fiction (since we’re living in a very Cold War moment). The new John Le Carré, Red Sparrow, (trashy but so good), and my new obsession, Charles’ Cummings’ Thomas Kell series. Also just devoured What She Ate, The Honeymoon, The Mothers, The Widow of Wall St., and Home Fire. I could talk about books forever.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Rage tweeting and compulsively checking political Twitter before I go to bed. I know it’s bad for me.
3. Jam of the minute: Hamilton soundtrack or Lost Frequencies remixes on Spotify (for when my kids are in the car) and Elton John’s “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” when I’m alone.
4. Thing I miss: Being able to laugh or jump without peeing.
5. 80’s crush: Alec Baldwin (in She’s Having a Baby. I was quite precocious.)
6. Current crush: My cats.
7. Will whine about: Pretty much everything. Mostly dirty socks on the floor and stepping on Legos (they hurt). The world is going to hell so I might as well zero in on the petty.
8. Will wine about: Vodka, please.
9. Best thing that happened yesterday: Nothing. No meetings, no interviews, no makeup, no nice clothes. Hung out in my yoga pants all day, paid bills, made soup, wrote an article. Heaven.
10. Looking forward to: Pumpkin Pie