Quick Bio: Stephanie Genkin is a Certified Financial Planner and Founder of My Financial Planner,LLC, a New York Registered Investment Advisor, working with real people on an hourly basis. She is a media strategist for the nonprofit organization World Learning and an adjunct instructor at NYU. Stephanie is also a proud sponsor of 2019 TueNight storytelling events.
Beyond the bio: “I think my family is still pretty shocked I became a career money geek, having shown no interest in earning a buck or living in a capitalist country for a good chunk of my adult life. I’m still amazed at the painless transition of my professional identity from roving print reporter in the Middle East to CNN interview producer to financial advisor for the 99 percent.”
1. On the nightstand: How to be an Antiracist (JUST READ IT!); The Hidden Life of Trees, because I love walking and spend time in nature this time of year; Persian Mirrors, it’s been around for awhile but I want Elaine Sciolino to be my writing teacher and her books are the next best thing; and The New Bohemians, where I discovered that my style (and my soul) is 100% nomadic bohemian.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Eating mint chocolate chip ice cream, collecting crystals, and continuing to stretch myself beyond my wildest dreams.
3. Jam of the minute: Sunday Morning Political Talk shows and Bachelor in Paradise (hey, don’t judge)
4. Thing/People I miss: my big, badass curls and nieces Rachel and Jamie
5. ‘80s crush: Let’s. Not. Go. There.
6. Current crush: A.O.C.
7. Will whine about: Oppressively hot/ humid summers, subway delays, clutter
8. Will wine about: No wine. Don’t drink.
9. Best thing that happened recently: I started writing again, discovered forest bathing, and got a stunning henna tattoo on my hand.
10. Looking forward to: IMPEACHMENT.