Basic Bio: Former book and magazine editor turned freelance writer and online content producer.
Beyond the bio: “Writing about my alcoholism for Bottles Down for TueNight was profoundly rewarding, but also much more personally taxing than I had ever anticipated. Recovery isn’t static; you don’t achieve it, stick a flag in the ground and then declare it as your own. It’s a living, breathing, moving muscle, something that changes and grows in ways you can’t anticipate. And suddenly, all I wanted to do was go back to being a stealth, behind-the-scenes writer and editor.
At the same time, I realized that by being open about what was once so shameful to me, and literally incorporating it into my livelihood, I gave myself a wonderful new feeling of purpose. So these days, while I still juggle multiple writing/editing projects, my favorite gig by far is the work I do for Rehabs.com, which is a really helpful website that provides in-depth, unbiased info on addiction treatment centers across the country. It’s the best way I know how to help shake the stigma associated with addiction and mental health issues, and I don’t have to bare my soul to do it.”
1. On the nightstand: Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha. I literally read this book cover to cover about once a year, and every time I learn something new. It’s the most helpful, practical book about mindfulness that I’ve ever read. I’m not making an overstatement when I say it changed my life (or perhaps more accurately, my perception of it).
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Drinking butter coffee (a.k.a Bulletproof) each and every morning. Fad or no, it tastes so good, gives me so much energy, and puts me in a great mood.
3. Jam of the minute: The “I Miss Golden Age Hip-Hop” mix that Apple Music made for me.
4. Thing I miss: NYC subway tokens.
5. 80’s crush: David Addison
6. Current crush: John Early
7. Will whine about: Trump, the MTA, winter, cold offices, itchy scarves, the fact that I now need reading glasses.
8. Will wine about: Alcohol is off my list for good these days, though I do like to nurse a cold California Grape kombucha.
9. Best thing that happened recently: I celebrated my eighth wedding anniversary with my husband, and the entire night, it legit felt like it was one of our first dates, pitter-pattering heart and all.
10. Looking forward to: The next episodes of “The Dream” (a podcast about pyramid schemes) and Escape At Dannemora (a Showtime miniseries about the insane 2015 Clinton Correctional Facility escape). Also, season three of Search Party.