TueNight 10: Tyrese Coleman
Age: 40 years old today! (April 1)
Quick bio: Tyrese L. Coleman is the author of the collection, How to Sit, a 2019 Pen Open Book Award finalist published with Mason Jar Press in 2018. Writer, wife, mother, attorney, and writing instructor, she is a contributing editor at Split Lip Magazine and her essays and stories have appeared in several publications, including Black Warrior Review, Literary Hub, The Rumpus, and the Kenyon Review.
Beyond the Bio: “Life right now is all about ‘sheltering in place’ because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This means that I am cooped up in the house with my family and socializing via video chat. However, I have discovered some positives. One is that I have money since I am not out spending it. And another is that I have started jogging, something that I never thought I would be into. I always thought that the idea of ‘going for a run to clear my mind’ was something people just said, but it is actually true.”
What makes you a grown-ass lady? “Being honest with yourself and others as much as possible. Understanding that your body will change in ways that you are not prepared for and learning how to be all right with that. For me, also, it has been giving myself the patience that I did not give my younger self to be imperfect, to learn and pursue my dreams and goals.”
1. On the nightstand: Jasmine Guillory’s The Royal Holiday, a jar of raw shea butter and a bottle of Vitamin E oil
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Pursuing the things that make me happy
3. Jam of the minute: I’ve been listening to Childish Gambino’s new album 3.15.20 on repeat
4. Thing I miss: Oh man, anything that involves being outside and around other people. Happy hour, coffee shops, everything!
5. ’80s crush: I’m a ’90s kind of girl and my crushes were Donald Faison and Aaliyah
6. Current crush: Marshawn Lynch
7. Latest fave find: The C25K app. Since I need to find ways to exercise outside the gym, this app has got me interested in running, of all things.
8. Last thing you lost: My mind… being around these kids all day *weeping emoji*
9. Best thing that happened recently: Although I am sheltered in place, seeing my boys interact and play and get along the way they have has been one of the best things ever.10. Looking forward to: Leaving the house and finishing my next long-term project
Leave a Reply
Tell Us in the Comments
What do you think?