Quick bio: Alison is an entertainment management consultant and booking agent. A native New Yorker, she literally grew up backstage at Lincoln Center.
Beyond the bio: “Two years ago I found my father in a life crisis, with dementia and evicted. He had left when I was a baby and never raised me, didn’t help my Mom with much money. He never showed any interest in my son and wasn’t a grandfather to him. My father had always been extremely self-centered and absent from my life. Nonetheless, when given the choice of helping him or looking away and letting him be mentally ill and homeless, I decided to help him. I was surprised by how good it felt.”
1. On the nightstand: Courage To Change—there is addiction in my family. The Other Side of Paradise by Staceyann Chin—I adore her! Breakfast at Tiffany’s—Truman Capote is one of my most favorite writers. Labello lip balm, a nail file, L’Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream, a lamp made out of a large canning jar.
2. Can’t stop/won’t stop: Dancing. I take a dance class almost every day and Fosse Master Classes whenever they roll through.
3. Jam of the minute: I Carry Your Heart: A Tribute to Arnie Lawrence, Vol I + II
4. Thing I miss: Eye contact.
5. 80s crush: A boy named Vinny.
6. Current crush: a gorgeous man in my Spanish class.
7. Will whine about: I am so sick of seeing people looking down at their phones. Especially as they climb subway stairs! I call them phone zombies.
8. Will wine about: I don’t drink alcohol and I am tired of people asking me why, having to explain why. As if drinking is a given, hmf!
9. Best thing that happened recently: Writing my TueNight Live: SECRET story and reading it at the event. I hadn’t written or read in public in many years. It felt so good. I’m back!
10. Looking forward to: The end of systemic racism and discrimination